Regular, vigorous exercise can help you improve your fitness and health. It is important to keep moving!
Regular exercise should be part of your daily routine, along with eating and brushing your teeth. You can exercise in a gym, join a team or do it on your own. These are some tips by Dominic Siwik to keep in mind.
- Have fun and stay positive It is important to have a positive mental attitude. Choose an activity you find enjoyable. If you enjoy the activity, you are more likely to continue with it. Many people find that exercising with someone they like is more enjoyable than doing it alone. So, find a friend or family member who will be willing to join you in your exercise routine.
- Start slowly. Making small changes can make a big difference in your fitness. You can walk, bike or take a ride to school or home with a friend instead of taking a ride. Take the bus to a nearby stop and walk the remainder of the way. Instead of using the elevator or the escalator, take the stairs.
- Get your heart beating. No matter what type of exercise you choose, ensure that it includes aerobic activity that increases heart rate and makes your breathing harder. This type of exercise is great because it improves your fitness and your heart and lungs function. It helps to lose body fat. Running, swimming, and basketball are all examples of aerobic activities.
- Warm up before engaging in any form of physical activity. This will warm your muscles and protect you from injury. Stretching can make your joints and muscles more flexible. Stretching after exercising is a great way to cool off.
It is important to exercise every day. You should do at least 20-30 minutes of aerobic exercise each day. You should do the exercise as often as you can, but not to the point where it causes pain.
A healthy lifestyle
You can keep your health and fitness in check by making small changes to your lifestyle.
- Spend less time on TV and less time playing video games or computer programs. This time can be used to exercise. You can also exercise while you watch TV. For example, sit down on the ground and do sit-ups, stretches, and use hand weights. Or, use a stationary bike or treadmill.
- Three healthy meals per day include at least four servings of fruits and vegetables, as well as 4 servings each of dairy products.
- Drink plenty of fluids before, while, and after exercise. Water is the best, but you can also use flavored sports drinks if they don’t contain too much sugar. These fluids will replace the sweat you lose from exercise.
- Stop drinking or drink fewer regular soft drinks.
- Avoid junk food and fast food. They are often high in fat, cholesterol and salt.
- Sleep between 9 and 10 hours each night.
- Do not smoke, drink alcohol or use drugs.
To learn more about healthier lifestyle tips, listen to the Dominic Siwik podcast.