With the supply of fossil fuels depleting each day and the environmental problems caused by conventional energy, the world desperately needs new energy solutions that are cleaner and more sustainable.
In the US, more than 90% of our energy comes from fossil fuels and less than 8% comes from renewable sources. As most of us have already realized, the costs and danger of continual dependence on fossil fuels are quite significant.
Why Solar Energy Matters
- Fossil fuel reserves are finite – Fossil fuels are being depleted at alarming rate each day as developing countries continue to consume oil.
- 2/3rd of the world’s oil reserves are located in regions with geopolitical and economic instability (Middle-East and Northern Africa). Supply of oil from these regions could be cut off anytime due to act of terroism or political reasons.
- Detrimental environmental impacts of fossil fuels, which include contribution to global warming, pollution, acid rain, etc.
Because of the above reasons, it is critical for the world to tap into renewable form of energy. Renewable energy sources offer many benefits. Among today’s renewable energy choices, solar energy has emerged as the most viable energy option to solve the world’s energy problems.
Benefits of Solar Energy
The benefits of solar energy include:
- Clean and good for the Environment – Solar produces no carbon footprint or harmful emissions such as carbon dioxide, sulfur.
- Abundant – Do you know that 1 hour of energy from the sun is enough to supply all of the world’s energy needs for a year?
- Dependable and Reliable – Solar panels are very reliable and proven to last up to 50 years. Also, there are no price or cost fluctuations with solar energy.
- Affordable – Federal, State, Utility financial rebates and tax incentives make solar electricity cost-competitive with electricity from utility companies.
- Sustainable and Renewable – Solar can supply electricity to us as long as there is sunshine, without contributing to global warming or pollution.
Want to build your own solar panels for home electricity?
As you can see from the above, there are many compelling solar energy benefits and advantages to adopting solar energy.